The Glens Centre was built in 1994 by North Leitrim Glens Development Company as a general purpose meeting and performance space, and tourist information hub for north Leitrim. Originally the old Methodist Church, built in 1830 and deconsecrated in 1964, the company restored the old building and added self-catering apartments and office space. In 2001 the company converted the auditorium to a 140-seat theatre. Since then, the Glens Centre has become a favourite of both artists and audiences. Thanks to the accommodation and rehearsal space, the Glens has pioneered the “performance laboratory” concept, where artists live in the community while they develop new work.
The North Leitrim Glens Development Company itself was formed in 1992, four years after the people of north Leitrim got together to rebuild confidence and self-belief among the community and to stimulate the economic and cultural regeneration of the area.
In addition to the cultural activities hosted by the Glens, the centre is a flagship building in the town of Manorhamilton, which welcomes all groups and individuals to enjoy the space, the excellent acoustics, and the beautiful surroundings.